We were approached by the owners of a private residence in Bath to supply, manufacture and install a bespoke designed stainless steel and glass balustrade, with a hard wood top rail manufactured and installed by a local joinery firm, that provided a safety edge and handrail for a new footpath around the side of the house. The handrail had to accommodate the slight run off level changes associated with a well-drained footpath, a facetted curved section and had to match an existing staircase handrail previously installed on site. Because of these factors, an ‘off-the-shelf’ handrail product was not suitable, so a custom designed handrail was developed and manufactured based on the client’s specifications.
Worldwide Structures Ltd Delivered
- We manufactured matching handrail balustrades from 60 x 60 x 4mm 316 stainless steel box, satin polished to match existing staircase balusters.
- Because of a curved area of foot path, we had to design, and manufacture articulated glass clamps to cope with the curvature of the path and match the existing proprietary Glass clamps.
- We completed the 3D design work using Autodesk Fusion 360. The swivelling glass clamp were then machined from 316 stainless steel using one our Vertical machining centres.
- A top rail was also fabricated in order that the local joinery firm could fit a hard wood handrail, we chose to manufacture this in black anodised aluminium to give good corrosion resistance but also to minimise visual impact of the top rail seen from the underside of the handrail
- Once the manufacturing was completed, we delivered the handrail sections to site and installed them alongside the customers chosen local contractor
- All the handrail sections are fitted with 10mm toughened glass with 10mm radius corners and all edges ground and polished for safety